Reading at Home
Reading aloud to children is the best way to get them interested in reading. Before long they will grow to love stories and books. Eventually they will want to read on their own. With the help of parents and carers, children can learn how to read and can practise reading until they can read for their own enjoyment. When you help your child learn to read, you are opening the door to a world of books and learning. Then they will have a whole world of information and knowledge at their fingertips!
Beyond the RWI scheme, all of our children have access to take-home reading books, which they can change whenever they wish. We expect children to be reading at home daily. Ten minutes a day will really help to develop fluent and confident readers.
Please click on the links below for more resources and support:
- The Literacy Trust has launched a portal for parents/carers which they are constantly updating. It is split into age groups and has a wealth of wonderful resources, access to books, audio books and videos and lots of simple ideas and activities to engage your child at home.
- The Book Trust has top tips and lots of information about books, including a Book Finder tool and advice about which book your child might like based on the books he/she has enjoyed so far. There is a new Home Time section with online books, videos, quizzes, illustrator workshops, competitions and activities.
- CLPE (Centre for Literacy in Primary Education) has lots of free resources, including poems and videos of poets reading their poems. You need to register to access some of their site, but it is free to do so.
- World Book Day Family Hub World Book Day is about celebrating books and reading all year round and this site provides video stories and activities to enjoy together, free audio books and games to enjoy.
- Oxford Owl have over 100 free e-books for children aged 3 – 11 years.
- Love My Books has lots of ideas to help children and parents/carers enjoy reading together.
- International Children’s Digital Library has a range of online books in a range of different languages.
- BBC Bitesize has plenty of reading activities, and there's lots of stories to listen to on CBeebies.
- The World of David Walliams - One free audio book reading is available to listen to every day.
- Poetry By Heart - A wide selection of poetry covering different topics
- Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler Home Learning Packs - Free activity packs for 3-7 year olds to complete as you read the books