A brief history of our school
Corngreaves Academy is the oldest school in the Sandwell borough. The British Iron Company built the school in 1848 - 1849 to educate their employees’ children and at this time, it was two buildings not joined in any way.
Over the years, it has undergone many changes but some things have stayed the same. We have always been known as a happy school and the school has always enjoyed a good reputation in the local area.
In recent years, we have made a number of important changes to the building and despite the fact that we have maintained the ‘Victorian’ look outside; the classrooms inside are fit for 21st century education. The classrooms are modernised with a huge range of teaching resources and facilities at our disposal.
We often wonder what some of the older generation of pupils would think if they were able to visit us now...
Our school now
We are a one form-entry school consisting of eight classes, which are made up of our Foundation Stage Pre-school and Reception class, followed by the National Curriculum year groups 1 through to 6.
We have a large school hall which is used for assemblies, productions, indoor PE and as a dinner hall (we have an on-site kitchen where fresh meals are prepared each day).
We also encourage our pupils to read frequently and give them plenty of opportunities to look at varied reading material by visiting our school library and Cradley Heath Library, which is at the end of our street.
All classrooms are designed to support the childrens learning and are very consistent throughout the school. This helps children transition from one year to the next. The school has iPads and laptops which are used to enhance learning. Classrooms are used to scaffold learning and work from children is celebrated around the school on corridor displays.
We are also lucky enough to have the use of a large field, which is a very short and safe walk away.