Modern Foreign Language
French has been chosen as our modern foreign language at Corngreaves.
French is taught every week in Key Stage 2 and teachers use a variety of techniques to encourage the children to have an active engagement with French, to develop a positive approach to languages and to develop an understanding of different cultures.
Our French curriculum offers a carefully planned sequence of lessons, ensuring progressive coverage of the skills required by the national curriculum. Our chosen themes provide an introduction to the culture of French-speaking countries and communities. It aims to foster children’s curiosity and help deepen their understanding of the world. A linear curriculum has been chosen to allow opportunity for children to gradually build on their skills. The curriculum enables children to express their ideas and thoughts in French and provides opportunities to interact and communicate with others both in speech and in writing. At the heart of the curriculum is the desire to expose children to authentic French, so it offers regular opportunities to listen to native speakers.
In Lower KS2, children acquire basic skills and understanding of French with a strong emphasis placed on developing their Speaking and Listening skills. These will be embedded and further developed in Upper KS2, alongside Reading and Writing, gradually progressing onto more complex language concepts and greater learner autonomy.
Through our curriculum, we intend to inspire pupils to develop a love of languages and to expand their horizons to other countries, cultures and people. We aim to help children grow into curious, confident and reflective language learners and to provide them with a foundation that will equip them for further language studies.
- To foster an interest in and promote enjoyment of language learning
- To give a cultural insight into France and Francophone countries
- To prepare pupils for further study at key stage 3
- To develop transferable linguistic skills (for example : vocabulary acquisition/retention methods; an understanding of grammatical terminology; reading strategies; use of reference materials; phonology)
- To enable pupils to communicate clearly and with increasing accuracy in the target language in both speaking in writing on a range of familiar topics, to express opinions and to engage in conversations
- To appreciate songs, rhymes, stories and games in the target language
Please click here to view our MFL Sequencing Roadmap
Please click here to view our MFL One Page Overview